See more: CEFR
NEW (September 2017)
The CEFR Companion Volume with New Descriptors (Provisional Edition) is now available. The French version will be published in late autumn.
It is intended as a complement to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, teaching, assessment (CEFR). It represents another important step in a process that has been pursued by the Council of Europe since 1971 and owes much to the contributions of members of the language teaching profession across Europe and beyond.
The “Companion Volume” is the Council of Europe’s response to requests that have been made by the groups involved in the field of language education to complement the original illustrative scales with more descriptors. In addition to the extended illustrative descriptors, it contains an introduction to the aims and main principles of the CEFR.
The Companion Volume thus contains:
- A text explaining key aspects of the CEFR for teaching and learning
- Updated versions of the 2001 scales (gaps filled: better description at A1 and the C-levels, new analytic scale for phonology)
- Descriptors for new areas: mediation (including reactions to creative text/literature), online interaction , and plurilingual/pluricultural competence
- Examples for the mediation descriptors for the four domains public, personal, occupational, educational
- A brief rationale for each descriptors scales (old as well as new)
- A brief account of the development project
A fuller account of the project to develop the scales for the new areas (mediation etc.) is available here
A report on the development and validation of the new phonology scale is available here
A collation of descriptors suitable for younger learners aged 7-10 and 11-14 respectively is available here
An ISBN “pretty” publication – with new scales for aspects of signing competence will be published in English, French and German during 2018.
Also see our Facebook page, 13 September 2017.