See more: Teacher Competences
A group of European experts meets regularly to examine specific aspects of teacher education, discuss common challenges, and exchange good practices. They have produced guidance for policymakers.
One of their publications is "Supporting teacher competence development for better learning outcomes."
This is a report about EU policies with regard to teacher competences in general, not specifically about the competences of sign language teachers, or language teachers in general. It does give a useful overview of teacher competences, and EU policies and recommendations.
- Explains what the authors mean by teacher competences
- Explains why a focus on teacher competences is important for improving pupil attainment
- Explains the connections between competences and standards
- Discusses the benefits of frameworks of teacher competences
- Explains why education authorities, and the teaching profession, seek to define the competences required by teachers; and
- Outlines the benefits of doing so.
This chapter is based upon a survey of members of the European Commission’s Thematic Working Group ‘Professional Development of Teachers’, carried out in 2011 and updated in 2013 .
- the key features of current policies on teacher competences in EU Member States;
- the variety of ways in which they have been developed and are used; and
- some implications for policy.
- Outlines the conceptual basis which ought to underpin the development process of teacher competence frameworks;
- Discusses the ways in which a social consensus about the competences of teachers can be developed;
- Highlights some implications of the processes and roles in defining competences and implementing the framework.
presents and discusses policy suggestions concerning effective ways of:
- stimulating teachers’ lifelong professional learning,
- assessing their competences with consistent tools,
- tackling objectives and outcomes, and
- providing relevant learning opportunities for teacher competences development; and
- advice about key conditions for policy success in this field.